TL;DR – Everything you need to know, summarised for you daily at 5pm
1) Today’s Racial Harmony day![media-credit name=”Regent Sec” link=”http://www.regentsec.moe.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/rhd.jpg” align=”aligncenter” width=”590″][/media-credit]
Yup, when students don traditional costumes and go to school.
2) Miranda Kerr’s engaged to Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel[media-credit name=”businessinsider.sg” link=”http://www.businessinsider.sg/la-power-couple-evan-spiegel-and-miranda-kerr-engaged-2016-7/?r=US&IR=T#v1xCjVEdlRbDhWxc.97″ align=”aligncenter” width=”900″][/media-credit]
The 32 year-old Australian supermodel who was previously married to Orlando Bloom first met the 26-year-old Spiegel at a dinner for Louis Vuitton in Los Angeles.
3) 6-month trial to allow all-day access to foldable bicycles on public transport
Good news for cyclists! Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan announced that a six-month trial that will allow commuters to bring foldable bicycles and personal mobility devices (PMDs) on buses and trains at all hours will be launched soon.
4) Singapore seizes $240m in assets in 1MDB probe[media-credit name=”straitstimes.com” link=”http://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/singapore-seizes-240m-in-assets-in-1mdb-probe-half-from-malaysian” align=”aligncenter” width=”780″][/media-credit]
The plot thickens in the 1MDB probe as Singapore authorities seize about $120 million from flamboyant Malaysian billionaire Low Taek Jho and his immediate family. A confidant of Prime Minister Najib Razak’s family, the 34-year-old owns two units at the posh TwentyOne Angullia Park along Orchard Boulevard which he bought for S$54 million in 2013, according to an earlier report by the Business Times. One of the units is a 7,718 triplex penthouse which cost S$42.9 million or S$5,560 per sq ft, making it one of the priciest properties sold in Singapore. Low is also the owner of a company called Good Star, which allegedly fraudulently received US$1.03 billion from 1MDB.
5) 48-year-old man arrested in connection with death of missing woman[media-credit name=”straitstimes.com” link=”http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/police-arrest-48-year-old-in-connection-with-death-of-missing-woman” align=”aligncenter” width=”780″][/media-credit]
The police have arrested a 48-year-old man in connection with the death of 31-year-old Cui Yajie. Ms Cui was last seen at Fusionopolis Walk on July 11 at about 9.15pm. She had not reported for work since July 12.