Trigger warning: 36-week pregnant woman loses baby after 2-hour wait at A&E, NUH investigating

By March 21, 2022Current
NUH miscarriage pregnant woman

TL;DR – Rest in Peace, Baby Titus.

The National University Hospital (NUH) is currently investigating an incident in which a pregnant woman suffered a miscarriage after she was allegedly left unattended for two hours at the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.

On 21 March 2021, Facebook user Mee Pok Tah took to his Facebook to share the painful ordeal.

In his post, the Facebook user said that his wife, who was 36 weeks pregnant, had been sent to the hospital after bleeding profusely while in the shower on 15 March 2022 around 10.30pm.

Upon arriving at the NUH A&E, he recounted that the paramedics told the nurse who was on duty on the condition of his wife, who was still bleeding profusely at that time.

NUH pregnant woman

Later, at around 10:38pm, he received a text message from the NUH System (NUHS) informing him that he was able to receive updates about the patient.

Pregnant woman was left unattended for 2 hours

According to the man, upon his wife’s arrival at the A&E, a nurse on duty appeared to set up a monitoring device to check his wife’s vitals and allegedly left his wife unattended for about two hours. She was bleeding profusely, he added.

Healthcare Services Employees’ Union (HSEU) steps in to address the struggles of nurses, doctors

“No doctors and nurses came to check and attend to my wife for 2 hours and no one informed her that there is no bed in the maternity ward,” he wrote.

After two hours of painful wait, his wife was sent to the maternity ward.

READ MORE:  Chia Yong Yong's proposal for full-day school probably won't work

Baby had no heartbeat

Doctors and nurses attended to his pregnant wife immediately at the maternity ward. But unfortunately, the doctors later informed his wife that the baby had no heartbeat and had died.

In his post, which has garnered more than 3,400 shares and 800 comments, he questioned why it took so long for staff to attend to his wife despite his wife being in a “life-threatening situation” and was excessively losing blood.

“This is a really unfortunate incident and I can’t stop thinking could my baby be saved if only we were attended to promptly. I just want to be sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else,” he added.

Investigations are ongoing

According to an update in the Facebook post on 21 March at around 12.30pm, the husband shared that he has received a call from NUH assuring him that an investigation is ongoing.

You can read the husband’s full post below:


Meanwhile, in a separate Facebook post, it was also revealed that the baby was cremated at Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium on 16 March.


Don't be selfish... Click here to share this on Facebook!

If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook to get the latest updates.

Joey Wee

Author Joey Wee

I am nice, most of the time!

More posts by Joey Wee

Leave a Reply