Have a CASE to make?

By July 5, 2022Current, Local Life
Have a CASE to make?

TL;DR – NTUC members can now file for disputes with CASE for free!

Your coffee machine breaks down after barely a week of use. You contacted the retailer, who tried to ‘pull stunts’ claiming that there was no warranty provided for the product despite the salesperson telling you that a warranty is provided for the coffee machine?

How now? It’s not something the police would intervene. Then who should you call? Call CASE!

What is CASE?

CASE is short for Consumers Association of Singapore. It is a non-profit, non-governmental organization created since 1971 to protect consumers through information & education and promoting an environment of fair and ethical trade practices.

CASE primarily handles consumer-to-business disputes. You are considered a consumer when you make a transaction for a product or service for your personal use. CASE, however, does not handle business-to-business disputes, claims pertaining to landlord-tenants, speculative investments, or accident claims.

With the proliferation of online shopping platforms nowadays, it’s never been easier to purchase something overseas. Do note that products purchased overseas are unable to be pursued by CASE (except in Mainland China, India, Macau SAR, and Malaysia).

How to file for dispute? There are three ways you can do it: Phone, Counter Service (by appointment only), or Online submission.

Are you a National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) member? Lagi better (Even better)!

On 1 July 2022, NTUC signed an agreement with CASE to embark on a partnership whereby NTUC will absorb the cost of annual membership fees to CASE on behalf of all NTUC members.

Huh?! Lodge case to CASE also need pay fee?

Of course lah brother/sister… If not, who pays the employees at CASE?

READ MORE:  How to PIVOT your life and avoid having to downgrade HDB flat because of unemployment

You’ll need to pay a fee for filing disputes — but CASE provides free advice for you as a consumer, If you have any disputes with businesses and helps you as a consumer, negotiate or mediate with merchants to resolve contractual disputes and arrive at a settlement amicably.

So, if you’re an NTUC member, simply flash your card in physical or digital form to enjoy the fee waiver. Remember to make an appointment should you wish to visit CASE at 170 Ghim Moh Road, Ulu Pandan Community Building Level 5. They are open from 10am – 4pm on weekdays only. Else, you can call them at 9795 8397 or head over to their website.

Let’s hope that you never find yourself in a situation where you need CASE — but it’s always good to have knowledge of this at the back of your head!


Don't be selfish... Click here to share this on Facebook!

If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook to get the latest updates.

Joey Wee

Author Joey Wee

I am nice, most of the time!

More posts by Joey Wee